At Canyon View, the student comes first. Our staff works hard to meet student needs. We believe that all students are capable of achieving excellence in learning the fundamentals of formal education. Our primary goal is to provide experiences which will help all students achieve their fullest intellectual potential. In addition, we want to help students learn the importance of respect for people and property, to teach tolerance for individual differences, and to provide opportunities for students to develop leadership ability and gain a sense of self-worth.
Canyon View Elementary serves patrons located in the Cottonwood Heights area where residents are proud of their community and school. Canyon View parents, teachers, and staff cooperate to see that the school maintains a high standard of academic excellence and a learning environment which fosters academic growth.
- Canyon View serves 430 students from Kindergarten to Fifth grade.
- School is in session 180 days a year on a traditional nine-month schedule.
- School hours are 8:45 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. Mon – Thur and 8:45 a.m. to 1:40 p.m. on Fridays
- The teacher/pupil ratio is 1 to 20 in first grade, 1 to 25 in second grade, 1 to 22 in third grade, and 1 to 25 in grades four and five. The actual class sizes vary.
- The faculty is state certified and have achieved the status of a Highly Qualified teacher if they hold a level II certificate.The curriculum follows the state core curriculum guidelines and meets or exceeds all District and state requirements.
- Teachers work in teams to meet individual student needs.
- Over 50% of the teachers hold a Masters degree.
- Dress, attendance and discipline standards are maintained.
- An active PTA and School Community Council are a vital part of school operations.
- A nutritious school lunch is provided at a price of $1.75 per student.
- Special education programs are available to qualifying students who need extra help.
- The district’s Supplemental Kindergarten program is housed in Canyon View Elementary.
- A computer lab, funded through school resources, offers instruction in word processing, keyboarding and various other classroom enrichment.
- Volunteers are valued at Canyon View and encouraged to help with a variety of activities.
- School visitors are welcome. We ask them to check in at the office before visiting classrooms and get a visitor’s badge.
- Weekly brain boosters include instruction in Art, Engineering, Playworks and Media Center/Library